Fig & Honey Xmas Cake
· 750g mixed dried fruit
· 100g chopped blanched whole almond ,
· 100g chopped peel
· 200g dried figs, chopped
· 100g glacé cherries
· 300g plain flour (alternative to wheat flour : 100 gr engrain flour ; 100 gr corn flour & 100 gr rice flour, préférably organic)
· 2 tps of mixed spice
· 250g butter or margarine
· 250g light muscovado sugar
· 4 tbsp honey
· 4 eggs
· 1 tbsp milk or vegetable milk
· Pinch of salt
· 3 tbsp cognac, plus extra to drizzle over the cake at intervals after cooking & during storage
Heat oven to 140C/120C, gas N°1.
Line the base and sides of a 20cm cake tin first with greaseproof paper.
In a large bowl, mix the fruit, almonds, peel, figs and cherries.
Mix well and add the flour, spices and lemon zest.
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar thoroughly add honey & continue to mix.
Incorporate the eggs, then stir in the fruit and flour mixture.
Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk and stir in thoroughly. Add the brandy by the spoonful, until you have a soft dropping consistency.
· STEP 2
Turn the mixture into the cake tin.
Bake for 3- 3½ hrs until cooked.
Remove from over & leave to cool.
When the cake is cool, remove from the tin, wrap in extra greaseproof paper, then put it into an airtight tin or wrap tightly in foil. The cake can be kept for at least a month before icing it, during storage unwrap and sprinkle/drizzle occasionally with cognac.